Saturday, September 27, 2008

A day well spent

I met over 200 new people today. How amazing is that?!

Today was September's Angel Food distribution day. The little ones and I arrived at the church around 8:30 this morning. It was the start of a looooong, yet fulfilling morning.

One of the other girls was going to be in the church nursery looking after my two and two others. They were well prepared with Cheerios, bananas, bottles, sippy cups, Veggie Tales, blankets and Kitty. Plus a playroom full of toys they don't have at home. And friends.

Sometime around 9:30 I manned my station at the registration table. And people started coming in. Distribution was from 10 to 12. But we got started a little early. By 10:06 I had already sent at least 50 people on their way down the line! My job was to check their receipt, mark them off of my list and hand them vouchers for their assortment of boxes. This month was a first. Not a single hiccup in registration. Not a one. Every single person that came through was indeed on our list somewhere. Amazing!

I did skip out on cleaning up after everyone was through and all boxes were claimed. I had two children that were hungry and in the case of the baby--very, very tired! So, we came home and while Jacob ate a PP&J on the couch watching Star Wars (the one with the bad Jedi) I took Kyleigh upstairs and laid her down for a nap--to which I really think I heard her say,"Yeah, it's a about stinkin' time!"

I know I've mentioned them before, but any of you living in the US really need to look up Angel Food Ministries and find out if they are in your area. If they aren't, they need to be. If they are, then get involved. Somehow. Anyhow. No one preaches at you. No one asks questions about your life. They don't care--I mean, they do care, they just don't judge. What they care about is giving people an affordable option for food. And it works. So many times this morning--more than I can remember--I had someone thank me for what we were doing. Thank me? All I did was give up a few hours of my Saturday morning.

Isn't it incredible how small, simple acts can make someone else's day?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

....those small simple acts are frequently underestimated and almost always greatly appreciated.

Suburbia said...

That sounds a wonderful thing to do for others.