Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ah, the life of a LEO* wife...


"Can I turn the lights on?"


"No"

"How about the siren?"

"No"

"Can I play with the computer?"

"No"

Honestly, what's the point in taking a ride in the police car if I can't touch anything?

"Well, what can I do?"

"You can sit there and exercise your right to remain silent!"

Now, that was just plain rude. Is that any way for a husband to speak to his wife?

Last night was the annual MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) Officer Appreciation Banquet. And my officer Husband was one of the ones being appreciated.

Neither of us was really sure of the location of the event. He had been given rather vague directions--somewhere down by the airport. As we pulled into the parking lot and faced a virtual sea of squad cars from at least a dozen different departments, we suspected we were in the right place. Either that or something was going down.

"Uuuu, if something's going down, can I have the rifle?"

"No."

And then he called me a freak. Sigh. Feel the love.

All in all it was a rather nice evening--for a shmooze event. I enjoy observing my husband and his co-workers interacting together. One on my favorite past times is to just sit back and observe the people around me. And last night there was a lot to observe. Eleven departments from surrounding counties and the State Police were represented. Good barbecue. A few speeches. The most memorable ones were from a hand full of supervisors who spoke a few words regarding their own officers receiving awards--none of them were gifted public speakers, they didn't have to be, but one could tell they respected their men and they wanted to let them know that their actions were not going unnoticed.

It was also gratifying to be there as Husband was giving some of the recognition he deserves. Especially for this. Drunks are the most unappreciative members of the "Take a Free Ride To Jail" club. They accuse him of ruining their lives. They throw up in his car and on his shoes. They inflict all sorts of verbal abuse on him. And then they hire lawyers who attempt to impune his honor and abilities as an officer in front of the judge. And yet, he goes back for more. And more. And with each one, that's one more person who doesn't die that night from being hit by an idiot who thought he or she could drive home.

Anyone who also follows his blog will know that drunks driving are one of those things he does not tolerate. At all. This was the second year in a row he was honored by MADD for his numbers in DUI arrests--Husband being the arrestER not the arrestEE (big difference). I was honored to be his date this year since I couldn't go last year.

Well, I guess it wasn't a perfect evening. There was no coffee to go with dessert. A room full of cops, and not a doughnut or cup of coffee to be found. Sheesh.


*LEO: Law Enforcement Officer

6 comments:

Irene said...

I drove drunk once, for a very short distance and I was so scared. I was afraid that I would cause an accident. I have never done it again, not even on my bike. I was married to an alcoholic at the time, who drove drunk all the time and only got caught once and spent a night in jail, much to his indignation. They should have kept him a week.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening. We have Tom's banquest on the 15th of October. It's at an indoor waterpark in the Wisconsin Dells. We will be there for three days, YEA!

I think I would have complained about the NO DOUGHNUTS. I mean that's just RUDE! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

:0)

Anonymous said...

Oh Irene, that's horrible about being married to a drunk. I drove home drunk ONCE and it scared the crap out of me as well. The really really scary part is that I can barely remember it and I was a single mom at the time. My child could have been motherless or I could have killed someone. I was/am so ashamed of that OUT OF CONTROL moment of stupidity in my life. It straightend me out really really quick, especially when I saw how I parked the truck in my driveway. I never ever did anything so stupid like that again. It was the defining moment in my life where I figured, it was time to grow up. I was 23 at the time.

Suburbia said...

It's a shame you couldn't just have a very little go with his flashing light or siren!!!

Dori said...

Oh, fine. In my dear husband's defense, he *did* offer to stop on the way home so we could, um, make use of the squad car in an, um, unauthorized and unorthodox manner. Just so everyone knows he's not a complete stickler for rules and regulations.:D

LifeBehindTheCoach.com said...

I too would have pushed harder for a go on the siren!
Love your blog!