Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My daughter better like trucks!

Last week's adventures included a quest for a birthday present for a 4-year-old playgroup friend. Jacob suggested a bug vacuum. A swell gift for any age!

Jacob usually gets to pick out a new book whenever we go to this particular store and that day was no exception. I was able to steer him away from the Disney princess book but not away from the other books that make noise. He relented and picked out the Wall-E robot book with sound effects. Wrangling two children in a store distracted me from testing the book to make sure it worked before we purchased it and went home with the promise of reading it before nap time. The sounds didn't work. The story was good, but we have loads of
silent books and he wanted one with sounds. Sigh.

So, finally, a couple of days ago we had the opportunity to return the book and get one that worked. Silly me was just going to exchange the robot book for a working robot book. My son, however, went in with an agenda. He wanted the princess book. The one with the star.

Really? Because that star looks like it could get really annoying. Nope. No other book would do. Compromise? If I have to listen to this "magic wand" star making it's "magic" musical sounds then I get to take pictures and show them to your friends when you're 15. Deal? Deal.





You know, the child is
reading. I really shouldn't be concerned with what at this point, should I? *heavy sigh*

6 comments:

Marit said...

You hip modern mom! You're raising a true "metrosexual"!!

Anonymous said...

I let my children watch and/or read whatever they want (age appropriate, of course). I think it makes them a better person, in general, more well rounded. :o)

Dori said...

My reluctance on the book really has very little to do with him being a boy reading a princess book and more to do with the fact that I can't relate. I grew up taking things apart and putting them back together instead of playing with dolls and wanting to be a princess. And the books that make noise are just annoying. If anyone thinks that we're upholding gender boundaries in this house then they just don't know us!

I'm very selective on what my children watch and read. Well, in the baby's case it's just what she reads since she's doesn't watch tv. Jacob will act out what he reads or watches--I have to be very careful about what goes in since I'll be dealing with what also comes out!

Dori said...

Okay, fine. So it was just pointed out to me that my above comment came across a little harsh. It wasn't meant to be! Just clarifying, that's all! Sorry if I came across harsh--but I do have a sick baby and I'm working on very little sleep.

Donia said...

I want to watch Star Wars...the one with the bad Jedi! :)

Dori said...

Yeah, he and I do have a lot in common even if he does like the princess star wand that's really, really getting annoying! :D Sean's across from me right now watching Phantom Menace since Jacob never lets him watch it all the way through.