Sunday, August 10, 2008

Late night horror reading

My current, non-children's literature, read is The Inheritor by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's a little creepy. Poltergeists and the occult. San Fransisco and invasive fog. You know, all sorts of creepy stuff.

Last night, as both children were sleeping soundly upstairs and I lay sprawled on the couch reading, I got a little spooked. An 80-year-old house emits some creepy sounds as it settles in for the night. Sean was working. There was no big, strong man to protect me. Wow, can't believe I actually got those words out. Anyway. Knowing myself and my highly overactive imagination I figured it was time to put the creepy book up and grab a comic book instead. I wandered upstairs and crawled into bed with my night light and Calvin and Hobbes.
The Revenge of the Babysat. I discovered Calvin and Hobbes when I was in high school, so we've been friends for a few years now. I always thought they were hilarious. Last night? It terrified me to my bones!

My son was in Every. Single. Panel. I kid you not. There he was toting his kitty around with him outside. Swinging with him. Swimming with him. There he was with his amazing imagination. There he was not sitting still for pictures. There he was as the adrenaline junky. And I was terrified. There was my future.

I've always wondered what was in the mom's ever present drink mug. Now I know. Because I am her. And she drinks caffeine straight up. With a caffeine chaser.

Honestly? I shouldn't have been that surprised. The night I was introduced to my babies' daddy he was introduced as "Calvin". Yep, I picked a bad decade to stop drinking.

2 comments:

Captain Tightpants said...

Oh yeah, and none of your genetics have any Calvin influence on him ;) I think he comes by it from both sides - and while it makes him a challenge, I also know how incredible it has been to watch that little mind learn and explore, all guided by you!

Donia said...

You know that's one of Ethan's favorite comic heroes...right up there with the cat in "Get Fuzzy"...just wait til Jacob is reading the comic strips himself--and gathering ideas, like he needs any!