Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Home...

My annual reminder that I too can thrive in this environment and culture burst into bloom yesterday. While I paused and admired their beauty, the Hibiscus blooms failed to offer the comfort they usually do. Just the opposite in fact. Today I miss Africa so badly there's an ache deep inside.

It might have something to do with my sister and her family currently being aboard a plane due to land in Nairobi in a few hours. And the knowledge that they'll be having supper with our parents tonight. While I am thrilled beyond measure that they are able to make this trip it does little to lessen the homesickness. And while I have also received emails from both of my parents this morning assuring me that we all will indeed be making plans for my own little family to visit the Motherland it will always be just that...a visit. The knowledge that it will never be the trip that my very being craves--the Move--weighs heavier than usual this morning.

Enjoy the flowers, won't you? I'm going to sign off here and go work on recalibrating my mental state. Wouldn't it be nice if it was really that simple?

9 comments:

Saz said...

poignant and lovely post....perhaps thinking of the things you are grateful for around may give you some balance...

though some days nothing works..

breath deeply of the well of friend sin Blogland..you are NOT alone...in the void...we are all floating about nearby..

Elise said...

Big huge sympathetic dutch hugs... wish they were african ones!

Meadowlark said...

Homesickness is one of those things, isn't it. :(

Here's wishing you absolutely nothing that will be of any help. But I'll pretend like it makes a difference, even though I know better.

Peace to you, my friend. (And I'm sure it's wrong, but Misawa ahinya)

Dori said...

Thanks, my friends! I do have a truly blessed life... just having a pity moment. It'll pass...

ML, not quite sure what you're trying to say (or what language) but thanks! The sentiment is in the attempt!

Tina said...

I am right there with you Dori!!! I too miss Africa so bad and the possibility of me going back is next to none. This saddens me greatly but am so thankful for the memories!!!! A visit would probably do you real good!!!

Julia said...

Somedays the only thing you can do to make yourself feel better is to eat chocolate.

I tried it earlier and can report that it helped a bit with feeling sorry for myself.

Can send some your way.

Because of Love said...

Oh, sorry that you are missing out on the family fun.... However, those flowers are beautiful!

Thanks for the book suggestions. I will have to look around and find her book.

Suburbia said...

Never say never.........just not right now?

Thinking of you (and can you recalibrate me at the same time please?)

Natalie said...

Sounds like you need girlfriends, and that's what I've noticed about blogging that I love so much. I'm getting SO many girlfriends that can relate or just provide a kind heart to help me during rough times, so I hope it helps you as well.

I wonder what your silver lining will be? Every cloud has one, though some of them aren't lined very thickly.