Monday, March 17, 2008

Two-year-old logic

We do our best to limit the amount of TV that Jacob watches. He barely watched any TV until my last month of pregnancy with Kyleigh--I was simply too tired, too achy, too everything and Bob and Larry made fabulous babysitters! Now he's limited to a maximum of either one movie per day or two Veggie Tales (half and hour, sweet and sour...Veggie Tales!) He has a couple of full length movies that he really likes...Night at the Museum (dinosaur movie) and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (the least scary) are his current favorites.

This morning Jacob asked to watch Harry Potter. Fine. Harry Potter it was--on and off of course because this is a two-year-old attention span we're talking about here! Later on we went out and met my sister for lunch--the lunch venue very quickly shifted from where I wanted to go (Panera Bread) to where Jacob would be the most entertained (Chick-Fil-A with an indoor playground). On the way home Jacob asked if he could watch his dinosaur movie and the this is the "conversation" that followed:

No. You're not watching another movie because you already watched Harry Potter this morning.

No--my dinosaur movie, not Harry Potter. I don't want to watch Harry Potter.

No, Jacob. You already watched a movie today. No more movies.

Why?

Because you don't need to sit in front of the TV for another hour and a half and watch a movie. That's why.

Silence...cue crickets...

But...I was going to sit on the couch and watch my dinosaur movie.

Explain to me how I'm supposed to argue with that kind of pure and unadulterated logic?
Just so you know--I did not back down and we built a tower out of Jenga blocks until it was time to have the nap argument. Which, judging from the lack of sound coming from his room, I either won or Jacob has simply figured out how to play quietly.

No comments: