Friday, July 3, 2009

Not sure I want to see the Super Hero suit I come with...

Armed with nothing more than a diaper bag, a baggie of whole grain saltine crackers, two sippy cups of water, a magnadoodle and a Lego space ship I managed to herd both of my children into the doctor's office for Jacob's 4 year well visit. All by myself. And survived. And brought them both home with me. And didn't forget the Lego space ship. And, yes, my son is brillient and amazing. And quite healthy.

We had the option of no vaccines for this year and just load up next year on the four that are required prior to starting school, or we could split them up two this year and two next year. Jacob choose to go ahead and get two over with--though I'm not exactly sure he knew what we were asking him. But he did know he was getting a lollipop afterward.

On the car ride home he informed me that he would not be getting any more shots. Ever. I explained that the shots were necessary*, that they prevented him from getting really sick. Also reminded him that we were all going to need to get more shots before we went to Africa to visit Kokoo and Babu. Just like his cousins just had to do.

"Well, Mommy," he says in his very serious voice, "Since I already decided I'm not getting any more shots I'll just wait until Kokoo comes home and then visit her at her house here."

Now how am I supposed to argue with a 4-year-old who is already outsmarting me?




*spare me your "vaccines are bad" arguments...I've heard them all. I firmly believe that the odds of supposed life altering side effects of vaccines are nothing compared to the very real odds of death without vaccines.

5 comments:

Momma Val said...

Ha! Oh boy. Congrats on surviving that trip. Can't wait til mine is that age (or can I)? I have several friends that do not immunize at all and I do not agree with that. Though I think that there are several people I know that do the alternate schedule where you spread them out more which I think is an excellent idea. They give way too many now when they are babies all at once. Need them, just not all injected into their bodies at the same day. Think that could be too much for some kids to take.

Are they already outsmarting us at age 4? Lord, give me strength when that day comes :) Sounds like you do an excellent job Dori!

Donia said...

consistency and strong deductive reasoning...surely the making of a philosopher! (from Billy)

Elise said...

you are a brilliant mom, don't worry!

Suburbia said...

I hate waiting rooms, especially when I have my two waiting with me. I can remember having to pin Tall Girl down for a jab once, I felt like a murderer!
Well done on getting through it unscathed!

Dori said...

I wouldn't exactly say "unscathed"...but we made it! And these visits *are* getting better. I always feel like a child abuser holding them for their shots--but 5 seconds of intense horror is nothing compared to them catching the mumps and dieing!