Wednesday, July 8, 2009

One of these things is not like the other...


Take a moment...it'll come to you...


Once you've figured out that these are the exact same tools just different colors, will you then explain to me why I/we all should not be offended. Please?




*It occurred to me that I should explain, exactly, why it is that I am offended in the first place.

What bothers me is the perpetuation of gender bias and stereotypes...crap I've fought against my entire life...
I grew up a preacher's daughter--woman hold your tongue.
Enlisted in the Navy with a very non-female job and it was an uphill battle.
I ride a motorcycle yet every time I go to get parts they always talk to my husband first.
I garden AND I do yard work. Just like my husband cooks, cleans AND changes diapers.

I just found the labels sad in a very pathetic way. Oddly enough, it wouldn't have bothered me at all if they'd labeled them the same and just offered different colors. If I took my kids in and told them they could choose whichever one, odds are pretty good that my son would choose the pink set and I'd let him. Because I'll be damned if my children grow up with any misconception that they can't do something or have something based solely on their plumbing.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, the garden set is pink, and for girls. The yard set is more manly and for boys.

I guess I only find it funny. Sad that they either tried so little or thought so little effort would be needed to fool consumers.

Meadowlark said...

So does mean you don't want me to ask you about women in combat?


{ducking to avoid incoming}

:)

Peace out, chica!

Natalie said...

Honestly, they look pretty close, though in my opinion, the pink one's cooler.

My son thought his little sister's bike was better too, so he rides it around and it's pink. It's also EXTREMELY small for him, so we're more worried that he'll break it then be seen riding a pink bike.

MissKris said...

When I'm frazzled trying to keep busy fingers from grabbing things off shelves when I take my grandsons thru the store in their double stroller and I need to buy Pull-Ups for Dylan, I just make sure they're the right size. I don't care if I pick pink or blue. Actually, I think the girls' style keeps him drier...more padding in the crotch area, ha! HE doesn't know the difference if his Pull-Ups have trucks or butterflies on them. Having said that, I was the only girl in my parents' household growing up. I was told from as far back as I can remember that being a girl was no excuse for not doing anything. I have even pulled apart our drier and repaired it...sheeeeeesh. Gender issues are SO stupid...it's because of markdeting like what you've posted that it continues on, too. Who ever dreamed up the pink/blue differences, anyway? I happen to prefer blue and HATE the color pink, thank you very much.

Dori said...

Yep...they're the exact same toy set just different colors.

ML, yeah...because our "women in combat" views would be different? I pushed a baby--a whole entire HUMAN--out of a hole the size of a walnut. But I'm far too delicate and emotional to fight my own wars.

I could go on and on about the attempt of our male driven patriarchal society to keep the Woman down...

My dad taught me to ride a dirtbike when I was 10. I came across an old picture of my tween bedroom--purple comforter, teddy bear and a motorcycle helmet on the dresser. Thought that was a pretty symbolic image of my life! During my Navy days I kept my nails painted and the duty Chief would always chuckle when I'd turn in a completed mech. report--grease and grim under hot pink nails.

Suburbia said...

Good for you! I NEVER dressed my girl in pink or frills when she was a baby. Sadly as soon as she mixed with other children she got the damn idea that pink was only for girls. What can you do?!

Now she is older, she questions the gender bias in society, thank goodness!

Anonymous said...

I don't know how rigorous the market research is at Little Tikes. The color difference could be based on stereotypes or they could have discovered that girls like pink and boys like the other colors, in which case they are covering both bases.

Apparently, there is some research to indicate that there is a biological basis in color preferences by sex.

No matter what, I don't think gardening is any less difficult than yard work. I didn't dig up a 10' x 20' patch of grass for lawn; I did it for tomatoes and beans. Gardening will kick your butt. So will yard work -- I do both.

Anonymous said...

I meant to post the link to the research: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6956467.stm