Saturday, December 27, 2008

These days it seems like I barely have time to finish a sentence, let alone a project!

I wanted to post this before Christmas and it just didn't happen that way. So, here you go. My own birthday present to you all...a little insight into my childhood. Oh, did I not mention today was my birthday? I'll most likely have some deep thoughts later. Or not.

I learned this song around the time we first moved to Tanzania about 30 years ago.



Santa's using zebras now
to pull his Christmas sleigh
'cause a boy in Africa
wrote to him one day.
"Santa please stop by," he said,
"and bring some toys with you."
Santa's using zebras now
south of Timbuktu.

Donner, Blitzen, all the reindeer
put him on the spot -
they were used to ice and snow
but Africa was hot!
Then some zebras came along
and they pulled Santa through.
Santa's using zebras now
south of Timbuktu.

See the pyramids to by
and there's the Nile below.
Watch out for that tall giraffe;
mustn't fly too low.
Hello hippopotamus
the season's joy to you!
Hello Mr. Crocodile
merry Christmas too!

As they gallop over jungles
lions stop and stare,
wonderin' what those zebras could be
doing way up there.
While the reindeer wait for him
back home in their igloo,
Santa's using zebras now
south of Timbuktu.

10 comments:

Marit said...

What a great song! I've never heard of it before.

Anonymous said...

That is so cute. LOVED IT! So, in general, do the people of Tanzania believe in Santa as little ones?

Mrs. "Smith" said...

Happy Birthday wishes to you, as requested by your hubby. (I have been here before, though.) Enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

uhhh...duhhh GINA....I'm sitting at my computer playing Word Twist on Facebook and right in the middle thought "OH CRAP, I didn't wish Dori Happy Birthday". What a dummy I am!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL!!! I hope you guys do something absolutely WONDERFUL tonight to celebrate.

Have a GREAT day!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Wanted to drop in and tell you Happy Birthday!! Very much love to you!! Amy

Donia said...

Love the song...I remember learning it to sing for Christmas 1977 with my 3rd grade class at Roslyn. BTW, for Gina...in general, most Tanzanians of any age (or any other Africans) are unaware of Santa and his non-existance.

Berserk said...

Happy Birthday!

Home on the Range said...

What a delightful song.

Here's to a wonderful birthday to celebrate the wonderful life you have made for yourself.

Congratulations.

Tina said...

LOVED the song!!!! HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

Dori said...

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes! So much better than cards! And it was a delightful day.

And to those of you coming here at my loving husband's request--welcome and thanks for stopping by! He's thrilled he has readers who do what they're told...'cause, Lord knows, he doesn't get any of that around here!