Wednesday, December 10, 2008

cha...cha...changes...

There's a lot of chatter lately regarding New Year's resolutions--a tradition I've never really been a supporter of. However, this year--or next year, whatever--I have decided to make a resolution. I resolve to put my rather expensive college education to work. I know--that's just crazy talk! I'm serious! And, yes, I also resolve to stay true to my career goal which is to never have to wear pantyhose again...I'm a simple soul.

Since I have been adamantly opposed to working outside of the home and putting my children in childcare, any job prospect would have to be on the really shiny side for me to consider accepting. Something in communications (you know, like what it says on my diploma), non-corporate, laid back, enjoyable, fun and if possible--outdoors. Wow. That's a pretty tall order. Sounds like I might have better luck if my New Year's resolution was to finally acquire those last few inches taking me to my dream height of 5'7". Or maybe not...

As of January 1st I am the new Director of Advertising and Sponsorship for Running Kids. Sweet. I cannot even begin to describe my level of giddiness. It wasn't like I was out dropping off resumes and actively job searching. Truth be told, I have a lot going on right now. But a chance meeting with an old acquaintance at a local fund raiser early in November led to a job offer I couldn't refuse.

I really don't believe that
everything happens for a reason--most things do, but not all. I believe in the random. Makes me feel less like a toy for the puppet master. Regardless, there's a fair bit about this opportunity that smells like a Master Plan.

When we first moved here I was very aggressively searching for employment. In the beginning I was dropping off resumes and portfolios at places I had researched and wanted to work with and for. Towards the end I was approaching anyone in the "business" who was hiring. And I was totally and completely stressed about the process. I recall one day having to pull over to the side of the road because I was having a panic attack. We needed me to have a paycheck. Immediately. But the idea of battling traffic on a daily basis to go work 40 hours a week in a box was sucking the life out of me--and I hadn't even been hired yet! So, I switched directions. I made up my mind to keep the creative side freelance and simply accept a job--any job--with a paycheck. That's about the time when the manager from Blue Ridge Mountain Sports called and offered me a full time position. It was meant to be a temporary gig until other stuff panned out--it just lasted a little longer than anticipated...by almost four years.

I made a lot of contacts in those four years. One of them being my new employer. Others being representatives of the various organizations I will be approaching for sponsorship. I know the business. I'm familiar with the outdoor industry. I'm also passionate about what the organization stands for. I can't wait until my children are old enough to participate! I'm going to do my best to take them with me to as many of the events as I can--shouldn't be too difficult since travel expenses will be paid for me and my family!

Oh, the really, really nifty part? I'm working from Home. Yep. Right here with the munchkins. In my jammies. Sometimes. Video conference days I may put on a bra.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOLOL at "video conference days I may put a bra on" That's to funny and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's awesome news. You should be ecstatic.

Have a WONDERFUL night :)

Dori said...

Gina! Welcome back, woman!

Suburbia said...

Congratulations!! Sounds perfect :)

Marit said...

Due to Reader screwing up I didn't read this til today, so CONGRATULATIONS!!
Very very happy for you!
I guess having patience really does pay off :-)
(maybe I should try that sometime)