Saturday, December 6, 2008

All twinkly and bright...

It's coming up on Christmas time. I love this time of year--even with the flurries blowing around outside! Going out and picking a Christmas tree. The lights, the music. Pulling out all of the ornaments and the memories they bring back. My mom, my sister and I all have a number of the same ornaments...ones we either made or collected together. I remember putting up my tree those years in Spain and realizing that the same ornaments that were on my tree in the south of Spain were also on trees in the States and in East Africa. It was a comfort.

Last year my boys went out by themselves and brought home the most beautiful tree. This year we made it a family affair. The four of us bundled up this afternoon and made our way down to the same Christmas tree lot we've patroned for the past three years now. The same old man was out there to hold up the trees for inspection and then to load the chosen one up on top of the Cherokee. For as much as I've spoken against traditions--I like the ones our little family has started.

I enjoy wrapping the strings of lights around and around. I always manage to pack them up each year so they're not too tangled the next. This year I have three strings of LED lights--don't stare right at them or you'll see spots for a while! Maybe I will actually make it to one of the after Christmas sales this year and pick up a few more boxes. I feel like I defied the laws of physics--a delicate white pine should not be able to hold up all of those lights...all 600 of them!

The heavy miniature pots and teacups I found in Portugal and made into ornaments have stayed in the bin. They're too heavy for the tree this year. A few others that are far too fragile to be on display in a home with these two whirlwinds we call our children have also stayed in the bin. All of my share of the wooden ornaments my mom painted the Christmas I was born are hung up. Jacob and Kyleigh both have ornament collections started--none too fancy, just ones I've picked up that remind me of them.


Jacob helped me hang the red wooden beaded garland my mom and I picked up on one of our excursions. He was dragging the other strands around the living room like a snake.

My Christmas shopping is complete--thanks to Amazon and the internet! The space under the tree will remain vacant until the little ones go to bed Christmas Eve. Well, not exactly vacant--that tree skirt is Sebastian T. Cat's nap spot of the month. He'd be there now except he had his face buried in his food dish at the time I snapped the picture. And, no, the angel won't sit up straight. Blame it on the eggnog!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if you had a tree poking you up the butt, would you sit up straight???? HA!!!

The tree looks beautiful. I can't wait to put ours up. It's so late in the month that we may buy a real one this year. Ours always die before Christmas when we go for a real one. I have purple thumbs not green ones ;)

Marit said...

Your preparations sound lovely! When I grew up, we did exactly the same thing. Old handmade things hanging in the tree, nostalgia abounding. Unfortunately I have a husband who is not sensitive to tradition AT ALL- sometimes he practically has an allergic reaction to all things traditional- and we have had to compromise. That means yes to candy canes (if I can find them) and no to old handmade stuff surrounded with memories.
Enjoy your Christmas, it sounds like you've got a wonderful start!

Grit said...

ahh, it looks lovely, and the wobbly top makes it all the better. it makes me resolve to stop shouting st the gritlets, get out the fairy lights and stop going on about standing on the baubles.

Suburbia said...

That all sounds so lovely. It's quite comforting we're all doing similar things!

Tina said...

love the tree!!!! I love this time of year too!!!!

Lakeland Jo said...

I like my eggnog with a lot of brandy
yum