Sunday, October 4, 2009

Honesty...such a lonely word...

I once had a complete stranger ask my opinion on something--we were all sitting around waiting in a service station and he was chatting about his beliefs regarding what happens when we die. Who in the world chitchats about that with strangers? You know, other than bloggers? Anyway...my answer of "I think it's a whacked out theory and theologically unsound" offended him. I know. Some people can be so sensitive. So, yeah...sometimes I think I need to dial back the honesty.

Even though there have been times I've been too honest in my opinions I've never been hateful in my comments on others blogs. That's a behavior I simply do not understand and yet, numerous bloggers have been plagued with "trolls" lately. Apparently I'm either too boring, not worth the effort or my "troll repellent" has been most effective since they've all stayed away.

The blog community is just that--a community. There are ones I've met out here whom I value as friends. Others? Meh...not so much and I no longer waste my time. One such valued friend created this award--and since, apparently, my honesty has yet to offend her she passed it on. Thanks, Momma Val! You're the best--honest!

May we always value and treasure honesty over false words and empty flattery.


5 comments:

Meadowlark said...

You pathetic excuse for a LEO wife. What do you do? Sit around and blog all day?

Oh wait, that's ME!!! ;) Just didn't want you to feel left out in the troll attacks.

Dori, honesty ROCKS. I just can't wait til most of the rest of the world catches up with us.

Do Not Change One Thing about you and your blog or your comments.

Peace out, you crazy Navy Chick!
(from your uber-cool jarhead gal)

Natalie said...

Meadowlark, you always make my day!

I appreciate honesty in blogs because I take them as face value.

I've read blogs of people that I know and what's really going on in their life and get discouraged that they depict something either as a victim or a saint. Maybe I do it too unintentionally?

Whatever the case, all of the honesty circulating amongst LEOW blogs has momtivated me to do the same!

Erin said...

Totally. I'm always honest, even if I'm voicing disagreement. But, I also am always extra careful if I'm disagreeing with something, particularly on a blog, because I absolutely *don't* want to be perceived as a troll. The thing is, honesty can get some really good conversation going, and respect will always keep things on track.

mrs. fuzz said...

I appreciate you "brutally" honest gals. I'm laughing at what you said to that stranger at the service station. I would've been like, "Oh, that's nice. . . "

Momma Val said...

You deserve it Dori! You are welcome and I absolutely LOVE the last sentence of your post! I am requesting it as my epitaph when I call my lawyer to change the will today :)