Friday, May 1, 2009

Finally a "pro" reason for owning this old house...or, just an excuse to post lots of pictures!

First...a little perspective. Understand that we were just coming into spring the year we purchased our 80-year-old house...however, it still looked like this the first time I laid eyes on it. And fell in love.


Following a couple more springtimes and a great deal of unguided
and often times ignorant care...this year, our patience has been rewarded...


Azaleas welcoming spring with an explosion of color is somewhere around
Reason #31 to enjoy living in the south. The neighborhood is simply breathtaking this time of year.
The dogwoods and Japanese maples in full color add an
amazing back drop for everyone's azaleas.



And then I just have wee little miscellaneous flowers popping up in the yard...

The color just continues on into the backyard...


Ah...yes...the Straw Bale Garden. So far, so good. I can report that the plants are, indeed, still alive. I can't, however, report any growth. We're still holding on though. Maybe they just take longer this way. I say that the fact they aren't dead yet is a good sign.


Remember last weekend? The 90 degree weather that I dragged
my poor children out into? Yeah, she wasn't too happy.



But watching Daddy demonstrate the new EOD robot was pretty cool...

Speaking of Daddy...the race cars are in town this weekend. We spell the race "o-v-e-r-t-i-m-e" in this house. But that also means we won't see him until sometime Sunday. He and the doggy are going to be a couple of very tired puppies! And I find myself being another form of a Nascar widow...

9 comments:

Tina said...

Beautiful flowers!!! We have some of those same ones in our yard and they add so much!!!! Love your house too, too cute!!!! I love the south all EXCEPT the humidity!!!

Melanie said...

Excellent pictures of the straw bale gardening! I was meaning to ask about that this week.

Dori said...

You know, Tina, I'm even okay with the humidity...you know--now that I don't have to go through another summer pregnant! And, thanks! I love this house too--flaws and all.

Melanie, I did plant some of the tomatoes in pots again--just so I could be sure to have some at least! But I'll keep you updated on the bales...they're composting really well, just not sure about root growth. We'll see.

Meadowlark said...

I'm just clapping for you guys and doing the cheer. You know the one.... O.T! O.T! O.T!!!! HURRAY!!!!!

Your yard looks great - evil people with decent weather. But we think the snow might actually be done until at least October. Wooo hoooo!!! Keep us up to date... we love old houses.

Marit said...

Lovely, lovely house and beautiful flowers! What things to enjoy :-)

Home on the Range said...

Beautiful home, and beautiful garden. It was worth the time and the effort.

Dori said...

Elise, I don't think any garden I tend can possibly match yours! You've inspired me to plant tulips everywhere this year!

Thanks, Brigid! It certainly makes me look good to have such amazingly resilient plants! I couldn't save the dogwood...that made me sad. But one is being planted in the back to take it's place.

There's still a lot to do--inside and out. For every thing checked off of the list we seem to add 5 more. After being stuck inside working on the downstairs' bathroom all last summer we're ready to focus on the outside now. But I still love this house! Every squeaky square foot of it. Though I'm not looking forward to taking apart another cast iron tub--and figuring out how to get it downstairs!

Donia said...

wow...spelling now, are we??

Because of Love said...

What a cute house! I would have fallen in love with it too!

I just wanted to tell you that I am thankful for all the kind comments that you leave on my blog. Thank you for reading.

I also love reading your blog too!