Monday, May 18, 2009

Straw bale. Fail.

I don't know who, exactly, is to blame. Me, probably. Though I don't know why. I did everything my research showed me to do. But not only was something nibbling at the tender leaves, the plantlings never took root.


However, I have inadvertently discovered how to grow grass. Now if I can only replicate my findings and grow grass in our patchy backyard.


Before mine and Jacob's garden became a complete loss I decided to go with Plan B. Planting directly into bags of potting soil. This "no dig" gardening is proving to be as much work as the traditional "dig" method. The bales still provide usefulness as risers. They'll also be great fertilizer for next year.


The plantlings that went into the containers are, however, thriving (well, one is at least). I may get tomatoes this year after all!

4 comments:

Suburbia said...

Gosh, well done for having a go! It's always our fault because we are mummy's!

That last pic is lovely, looks very artistic.

Momma Val said...

Bummer about the straw. I have not seen the planting directly in bags before, interesting. I keep promising myself that I will buy some potted tomatoes soon. That will be the extent of my vegetable gardening with a HR preg. Good luck! Garden fresh is the absolute best :)

Dori said...

Thanks, Sub! The corner of the back steps has proven to be the one and only safe spot for the pots! My poor, lone Spanish painted pot--the only one left of several. So sad.

Val, the bags solve a number of issues...poor soil, raised beds, drainage (poke holes in the bottom) and digging doggies. I came across the method in a This Old House magazine and it was a proverbial light bulb moment! We'll see if it works!

MissKris said...

I've been very fortunate to have a green thumb since I was a kid. One of my main secret ingredients is "Poop Tea". You take a five-gallon covered bucket, toss in a bag of steer manure, and fill it with water. Mix it all together very well, cover it, and let it 'steep' for a few days, stirring it once a day. Add a quart of it to a gallon of water you'll use to water your plants, then replenish the 'tea' with more water, stir it up, cover it, and let it steep some more...kind of the same concept used for bread starter?? I do this every year and my garden flourishes. It doesn't smell so I use it for my houseplants as well. GREAT stuff!