Saturday, April 25, 2009

And then...it was summer!

All of the sudden we're enjoying 90 degree weather and spring is but a memory of Wednesday! And I'm reminded--by the force of hot air pushing down at me as I climb the stairs--that our central air doesn't make it upstairs. We rely on window units and space heaters. The window units are currently sitting in the attic. The heat sort of snuck up on us all.

So the baby is napping in the portable crib in the spare room downstairs and her brother will find a nice cool spot on the couch for his quiet time. Poor Daddy is out in the heat playing nice with the citizens of the county as they celebrate the department's 75th anniversary. He already knows he still has work to do when he gets home--or all of us will be sleeping downstairs tonight!

The kids and I met with friends and enjoyed some of the celebration. The dogs were showing off what they do and EOD was demoing the new robot. I really like the fact that our children get to see what Daddy does--in a controlled environment. They aren't going on ride-alongs any time soon! It was a good crowd--lots of fun. We rode the toy fire truck and watched the motor unit (motorcycles) weave in and out of cones. And I enjoyed the view--mmm...motorcycle cops. I was able to chitchat with people I don't get to see a lot of and pulled a screaming Kyleigh back when all she wanted to do was go see Daddy.

So now we're home, cooled off and ready for quiet time. Or at least Mommy is ready for quiet time! We'll see what I have to bribe a 3-year-old with!

1 comment:

Suburbia said...

Glad you had a good time, wow that is some heat to deal with all of a sudden!