Friday, November 14, 2008

And the hot water flowed...

We are once again enjoying the glorious thing that is Hot Water--bountiful enough to take a complete shower with. For the past couple of months we've been surviving on 2 minute showers and even then it was a rush to beat the looming threat of a cold shower. Both elements and both thermostats were replaced, and voila--hot water aplenty.

And once
again--a household repair that should have been soooooooo much easier and simpler than it was. There's a shut off valve that had been open for so long that after today's workout of close/open/close/open it is now exhausted beyond the point of fulfilling its duty of keeping all of the water contained. Husband is, as I'm typing, on his way back to Lowe's to pick up a new valve. No more work tonight though. Venturing under the house in the dark is far more than should be asked of any man. But he is on bucket emptying duty for the rest of the night. It's not like Insomnia Man was going to be able to sleep anyway.

I am thankful for the repaired--yet still dieing--hot water heater. I am also ever so thankful that the leaking, rusting appliance, along with the ancient pipes and their valves, is in the basement and can do very little water damage to its surroundings. Except create a moat around the cat box. Hmmm...a new way to Torment The Cat. We'll call that a Bonus--heh, I can be grateful for that too.

3 comments:

Marit said...

and...you can also be thankful for stores that are actually open in the evening. Here everything closes up at six, with the exception of one night a week, when they are open til 9.
Though, I must say, this is something I am thankful for. I like the fact that there are things I CANT do every now and again!

Dori said...

You're right, Marit--on both things! Though, with the little ones I know that there are things that simply have to wait until the morning--regardless of how late a store stays open. And that's a good feeling too. On the flip side, however, most of the home stores open really early! And that's pretty cool too.

It took me several months in Spain to get used to the siesta hours. I appreciated being able to go pay my rent at 8pm.

Irene said...

Marit must live in the Netherlands, because this is how things are here.

I wish for you a whole new hot water heater and new pipes and valves and everything and a kind plumber to install them.

My hot water heater has a temperament. I think it has Southern European blood. It is unpredictable and does not always give me hot water, it is very arbitrary.

I learn to live with it and take advantage of its good moments.