Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The things we're handed down...

I'm fascinated by the fact that the two granddaughters in this family have both been blessed with the most wondrous red hair. A feature that is uniquely theirs and theirs alone. A recessive Scotch/Irish gene carried and passed on by both my sister and I to our daughters?
My niece is a beautiful girl on the cusp of womanhood. Full of feisty attitude--more than enough to drive my sister (one of the most patient and long suffering people I know) to search for that icepick to gouge out one of her own eyes in order to numb the pain--an attribute that reminds me of...well, me. A feistyness that I lost somewhere along the way. Later regained--but I can't help but wonder what pain and heartache would have been avoided if I had managed to hold on to that attitude all along. And I see that same strong spirit budding in this precious little girl just learning to walk and explore her world.

What else might we have unconsciously given to our children?

Jacob puts his sentences together like I do. Tell Kyleigh "No" and she gives that look her daddy gives when I ask one of my "you're right, I wasn't thinking" questions.

Witnessing the
presidential election fallout over the last week, I hope we pass on tolerance. Acceptance of that fact that all people are created equal. Dislike someone because of their views or politics. Not because of the color of their skin or their gender.

Will they know that there are some things worth fighting for? Not a lot of things--but a few? Even fewer worth dieing for? Will they know that they are the source of their own happiness? Their own joy? Will they know to take care of what they have, what's been given to them? And to be gracious and grateful? Will they know the difference between those two words?

Will they know that they can fly? That they can soar?

All these were handed down to me. The greatest task I face in this life is insuring that my own children can say the same.

4 comments:

Irene said...

That's a lot to ponder over. If you teach them those values, they can't help but have them, I think, as long as you are also a living example to them and do as you say and I think you are that kind of woman.

I assume all your other relatives are the same way? Or most of them anyway? That would help a lot.

You are the most important person, though, when teaching them about values. Let your kids always be proud of you and what you stand for. They will get the message.

Marit said...

Amen sister!

Suburbia said...

I love your values,and whether it's nature or nurture I'm sure you'll pass it all on to them and more :)

Anonymous said...

Tolerance is one of the most amazing gifts we can past down to our children. It's one that I practice and preach every day of my life to my children. We can only hope that our children take the good from us and leave the bad.