Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dawn breaking...

This afternoon, just after lunch, I walked the block and a half down the street to meet Jacob as he got out of school. He and I enjoyed a delightful walk home. Sean was home--sleeping off the early morning call out--and I left Kyleigh at home napping as well. As I walked I found myself reflecting. So much has happened lately that has validated that this is where we're supposed to be. Right here. Right now. For both of us.

Way back in December when Sean took the new position our one concern was that he was losing all of his off duty overtime pay from court and other daytime "official" outings. We shifted stuff around, it wasn't pretty, but we were making it. And we were together as a family. And we were committed to our decision to get Jacob into pre-K. He's ready to learn in more of a structured environment than I can provide right now. The Commonwealth of Virginia doesn't offer pre-kindergarten in the public school system. We were going to have to pay for it.

Right down the street from us was a church with a preschool that came highly recommended. We visited. We applied and we also applied for a scholarship. The scholarship application, obviously, requested personal financial information. All questions were answered truthfully. Even the part where we were asked how much we could afford a month. Imagine our joy and gratefulness when the reply came back and Jacob had been awarded a scholarship--our monthly tuition payment is the amount we stated we could afford. And I could finally answer in the affirmative every time Jacob asked if that was his new school.

Sean's mom had previously told us that she wanted to help pay for Jacob's school--she would rather invest in their education or plane tickets to come see her grandbabies than spend money on toys. A decision we support wholeheartedly. She looked at her finances. She called one day last spring and told us the amount she felt she could afford every month. The exact amount needed to cover our monthly tuition.

Walking to pick up my son from a school we're not paying for. Neither are we paying for Kyleigh's one morning a week program. When we applied for Jacob, we applied for their toddler program as well. And then, after looking at everything, realized that is was simply a luxury we couldn't afford. At the beginning of the summer the preschool director asked me where the paperwork for Kyleigh was. When I talked to her about our decision she refused to accept it. In a very nice way, of course. She talked about bartering. Having me volunteer. We talked about my abilities and the fact that I'm one of those public relations people. End result of our conversation? For the cost of redoing the preschool brochure, my youngest is attending--and enjoying--a playgroup one morning a week.

Walking to pick up my son, getting to the school a few moments early, I sat down on the step to wait. Cars were pulling in--more pre-K parents. And I was grateful. Grateful for the opportunity given to my son. Grateful for the fact that we don't have a commute. Walking doesn't cost a thing. Even the days we drive barely register on my gas tank. Grateful for the huge smile I got when Jacob came down the steps. Grateful for his enthusiasm. Grateful that we've all been given this gift. And I realized that of all of the places I've been, all of the seasons of my life, this is by far the best of them all.

I feel like dawn is just breaking...and it promises to be an gloriously, amazing day.

8 comments:

Meadowlark said...

Your blessings cheer my heart immensely, my friend-I-do-not-know.

Marit said...

Just awesome Dori!!

MissKris said...

Amen...God IS so good. In our 35 years together, in hindsight, when it came to our kids things always seemed to work out one way or another. I've lost count of the prayers answered concerning them, and they're still being answered because they're still our kids even in their 30s...now it's just 'grown up' stuff coming their way. I've had those 'epiphany' moments along the way that leave me literally gobsmacked...kind of like the Lord telling me, "I'm in control and I take care of things if you let Me." Very humbling...and so very, very much appreciated.

Unknown said...

I am glad to hear they let you barter. I recently did something similar, my daughter has always wanted to take riding lessons so I offered my accounting skills for riding lessons on http://barterquest.com and got a reply from this great person who was amazing with horses but useless with numbers. I really think bartering is a win-win situation for everyone.

Erin said...

This was wonderful. I'm so happy for you.

mrs. fuzz said...

That was a nice warm and fuzzy. Thanks for sharing that. Sounds like a blessed life.

Tina said...

You are blessed, believe me!!! It's tough to do all the things you want to do for your chilren. We definately make sacrifices in our family as well. But they will be well worth it in the end!!!

Christina RN LMT said...

Beautiful, Dori. Thanks for sharing!