Friday, March 6, 2009

Heroes among us

There are a lot of bloggers out here. A lot of blog readers. And there comes a time when we bloggers need to ask ourselves, shall we use this power for good or for not-so-good? Today I choose to use this for good.

The internet is a strange and magical place. Sometimes we run into people we know. We learn more of their lives and we realize that there
are true Heroes lift in this world.


I first met Amy Clipston a number of years ago at a bar-b-que. She was a coworker of friend. (We have since discovered that we graduated from the same college and remain in contact with the same two professors.) Amy and I met again when the same mutual friend was helping Sean and I pack up our house in order for us to move here in October of 2003.

My grandmother had been living with us for a while and, even though she had moved to live with one of my cousins, all of her furniture was still in our house. No one within the family wanted it or had the desire to drive down and fetch it, so our local thrift store was about to receive a windfall of furniture and nick-knacks. Amy's husband had been on dialysis for kidney disease and had just been informed his kidney was failing and was in need of a new one. While their medical insurance covered some of the cost it didn't even come close to covering enough to make it an affordable option. We all had a light bulb moment--Dilemma meet Solution Number Two. Amy and her husband, Joe, were able to sell everything we donated to them. The money raised help cover the cost of transplanting a kidney her husband received from his brother.

Now, several years later, Joe's body is fully rejecting his transplanted kidney. They find themselves back on the donor list. Amy actually completed the tests necessary to find out if she could donate one of her kidneys and, unfortunately, she is not compatible. They are looking at all of their options. Amy is continuing the testing process to become a "paired donor"--if she's a match to someone else then it moves them quicker up the waiting list.

Amy and Joe live the Charlotte, NC area. I know of several regular readers of my humble little blog who also live in that area. If you (no matter where you live) would like to find out more, here's how:

Donor should contact:
Tanya Feemster
CMC Transplant Center
704-355-4910

The donor must have Type O or B blood. A simple blood test will get the ball rolling. If the donor passes that first blood test, then he/she will go through more tests to insure the compatibility and also insure that he/she is well enough to undergo surgery.

All of us 70 thousand or so bloggers out there can make a difference!

5 comments:

Kimbra Kasch said...

I love the story of how something about to be cast off - became worth so much to someone else.

Wonderful . . .

Melanie said...

Jeff and I recently had blood work done and we just got the write-ups on them back today. Two pages of blood jargon, yet our types aren't listed ANYWHERE. I'll call Monday and see what we are.

And hey Amy and Joe. We live in the University Area and go to Grace Covenant Church in Cornelius. (704) 598-7884 if you need some friends or additional support.

MissKris said...

I can definitely add them to my constantly growing prayer list! And I can relate to this post a lot because back in 1977 my Dear Hubby had a congenitally deformed kidney removed when our first baby was 6 months old and we were new Christians. Talk about being tried by fire! But he's been blessed with good health ever since, thank the good Lord. Catastrophic illnesses can either make you or break you...so can joblessness, raising kids. Most people tend to give up when the hard bumps in the road first appear. We've always chosen to face them head-on together and, no matter what the outcome, it's only worked to strengthen our bond. I'm sure the good Lord knows more about this situation than any of us do, as He has all along for us...and he's taken us thru some very dark waters in almost 35 years together.

Dori said...

Mel, I made sure Amy got all of that! Asante, rafiki!

Because of Love said...

I don't think I have either of those bloodtypes, but I am going to find my little card and double check.

Oh how sad!

Wish I could do something since I am in the same area.

Please send them my thoughts and let them know that I will be praying for them.