Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The apologies are going start rolling in...any day now...

I found this a while back...scientist now believe that doodling can help improve your memory. Huh. I could have been on the team of monkeys that helped figure that out.

Cannot even begin to count the number of times I got in trouble in school because my "lack of attention" manifested itself in doodling. Notebooks covered in scribbles. Illegible margins filled with circles, scratchings, lines intertwined with lines. Odd how I always seemed to pass my tests and actually had decent grades on my report cards.

Okay, the lessons where I have poetry and screen plays jotted down in the margins--I wasn't listening there. You got me. But those were when the teacher was really, really boring. Putting ink to my teenage angst was so much more polite than yawning and falling asleep, don't you think?

So...for Sister Lythem who felt the need to correct with the ruler and the maths book colliding with my head, Mr. Newport who never really believed that Americans spelled all of those words differently than the British, and Mr. Wilson who claimed my "attitude" would only get me in trouble one day and had lousy taste in art...you were all wrong. So there.

And to my children's future teachers...they will be encouraged to doodle. Sorry. Nothing personal. But I will do my best to teach them to refrain from drawing T-rexs (T-rexi?) piloting F-14s in the middle of your math lesson.

8 comments:

Momma Val said...

Ha! You're too funny. I think that is one of the first places I really learned to draw or learned I had some art potential. I used to draw all over the backs of my notebooks and folders with a sharpie. It was heaven back then, plus the fumes from the sharpie probably helped get me thru. lol

Marit said...

Oh, Mr WILSON!!! Huh...

(that was feeble attempt at showing disdain....)


not very christian of me....


but there you have it...

Soozcat said...

I used to doodle on my tests. I would make running commentary in the margins to my teacher.

I mean, why not? Grading tests is probably just as boring as taking them. If my test provided much needed comic relief at a crucial juncture, it surely couldn't have hurt my grade.

It's me said...

I'll be waiting for Mrs. Kincaid and Mrs. Martin who seemed to think "Messy Bessy" was a cute knickname. Not my fault I was bored outta my skull in 3rd and 4th grade.

GRRRRRRRR

Dori said...

Elise, my original post had a curse after "Mr. Wilson"--something like, may you grow fat and go bald, then I realized that he already had. Ahhh. He called me stupid in 8th grade. What a man.

Yeah, I used to draw pictures for my teachers on tests as well. Might as well give 'em something worth looking at! :D

ML, "Messy Bessy"?! And they lived?!

Unknown said...

Wow! I actually kept the covers off a couple of my RVA notebooks because I couldn't bear to part with all of "hard work" in the doodling department.

Anyone else have d-hall w/ Mr. Wilson? Stupid bloody laps around the upper basketball court.

Anonymous said...

As a teacher, I don't mind doodling so long as I know that my kiddos are listening (most are). I am a doodler myself and did not survive college without it.

To all who wrote/write notes to their teachers on tests...thank you!!! It breaks up the monotony of grading math papers or spelling tests over and over again! Heaven knows that's how I LOVE to spend my afternoons. :)

MissKris said...

Aahhhhhhhhh...maybe THAT explains my memory lapses! I haven't had time to doodle in the past 3 years!