Sunday, May 27, 2012

Movie nights...

Once the kiddos were in bed I put in I Am Legend...and only had to pause it once when I heard little footsteps coming down the stairs.  The boy needed to let us know he'd finished reading the chapter he was on and was now going to sleep.

After the movie the younger of our kitties was acting just a wee bit jumpy.  I guess Sprite. T. Kitty doesn't care too much for zombie movies.

Himself and I got to talking about the creepiest movies we've ever watched.  I think the first true "horror" movie I ever watched was An American Werewolf in London...stay out off the moors and out of the moonlight.  But the undead guy just got more and more comical looking, so by the end...meh, not so horrorish.  Or even all that suspenseful.

The summer I returned to Spain was the same summer the first X Files movie came out.  He wanted to watch it but had never seen any of the show.  So before the movie made it to the base theater we rented and watched the first couple of seasons of the X Files.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  There was one night we watched a couple of episodes followed by watching Fallen with Denzel Washington.  Then went out.  Walking down narrow cobblestone roads.  In the fog.  And there were footsteps behind us.  Neither of us wanted to admit to the other one we were just a little freaked out.  But we were both very much relieved to reach the bar and get inside!


We recently watched Alien again for the first time in a long time.  And it reminded us of what a really good chilling horror movie is supposed to be.  It's not about how much blood and body parts you can fit in a frame, it's about the suspense and the intensity of a scene.  Quentin Tarantino movies have their plance, but every now and then it's just nice to sit down and watch a well done suspenseful movie.


So what's the creepiest movie you ever watched? And I mean creepy suspenseful...not blood and gore...but, hide-under-the-blanket-can't-watch-but-can't-not-watch creepy.  Anything by Nicholas Sparks is automatically disqualified because that's just a whole 'nother level of creepy.

1 comment:

Julia said...

So, don't laugh, but Killer Clowns from Outer Space, which I am sure was supposed to be campy freaks me out and stays with me. I dislike clowns to start with, but that movie ensures that I'll never feel comfortable at any circus.

Yikes.