Friday, April 3, 2009

Stretching...

There's been some chatter here and there amongst my fellow LEO (law enforcement officer...I know, it took me forever to figure the acronym out on that one) wives regarding the fact that our lives, our husbands should really come with an instruction manual or at least a survival guide. And it occurred to me that I am a writer. (I'm not talking about just a blog writer. In a past life I actually was a writer--always felt much more comfortable in the Features section than News.) There was a light bulb moment and an idea given birth. However, somethings gotta give. Because, oh, let's see...full time Mommy, part time public relations director, blog writer and now working on a book...you guys may have to make do with pictures of my adorable children and stories of their crazy antics for a while!

Anyway...for those who are interested...Sean and I were brainstorming last night about how to put this book together and what should be included. The main purpose is for it to be made available as a resource--no one should have to go this alone. Publication is secondary.

Why me? In the 10 plus years that Sean and I have been married, the past six of those have been in law enforcement. Prior to that was military (both as active duty and dependent). We've been through some rough patches and have come out the other side stronger for it. I may just have some advice to give and some anecdotes to share along the way.

What do I want? I want input from all levels. I want questions. I want to know the things you wish someone had told you, things you wish you had known then, things you wish you knew now. I want your anecdotes as well. The good and the bad. Ride along stories. I'm working on an outline and structure. I'll post what I've got to find out if I'm missing any of the big stuff. What I may do is post my own bit under a particular heading and then ask for input on how others have handled/dealt with similar situations. And all credit will go where credit is due. I'm going to start chatting with some of the other local LEO spouses. I'm also looking at including stuff from the LEO's point of view as well. I know there are numerous online forums and that's not what I'm attempting to accomplish. This is to be a printed book (think A Girlfriend's Guide To Pregnancy) based on my own experiences with other's experiences thrown in for spice and perspective.

Right now I feel like everything just after the Big Bang--kinda out there whirling about, bouncing off of everything--but it'll solidify.

Working title? Do Bullets Explode In The Dryer? A LEO Family Survival Guide. (A very hearty thanks to Mrs. Fuzz for that one...and for the light bulb moment as well. Thanks!)



12 comments:

Meadowlark said...

I think this is a great idea.
I Love A Cop was just not right for me. Too "military dependant wife-y" which doesn't really explain anything, but I think it does.

I'll have to see if there are questions in my brain... it's been (holy crap) over 14 years of LEO, 10 years of military (AD and dependent) and we've survived.

Email me if you want an "editor"... I used to write for (Gannett) Navy Times and I'm picky, picky, picky! :)

Dori said...

you're on!

Momma Val said...

Sounds like a great idea. On our way home from the zoo just moments ago in the car I was going over the crazy and hectic plans of Easter weekend. I have to work around a work schedule one day and a side job the other day. Then both of our families are divorced soooooo we have to juggle all that in combination. My husband's eyes were crossed when I was near finishing my schedule. So I then said, "Now do you see why my brain is always tense and confused?" "Cause to schedule a life around a cops schedule and have two divorced families could make anyone nuts!" "I suck at math but thank God I went to college where I really learned how to juggle things and make it work." Honestly, I think you have an awesome idea and then you have so many blogger LEO wives to help with opinions and contributions for ideas. I'm excited for you :)

Anonymous said...

I love your title idea!!!! :-)

mrs. fuzz said...

when I read your comment about the survival guide in my post, I thought, "YES! THERE NEEDS TO BE A SURVIVAL GUIDE!!" I have soooooooo many questions. But I will have to come back tomorrow to post them because it is almost 1:30 in the morning. I stayed up extra late helping HF get ready for his big day tomorrow. Making him enough food to last the whole day so he doesn't go blow our millions on fast food. . .

I don't know if you read my comment back to you in my post but I mentioned "Chicken soup for the LEO wife" or "Whiskey shots for the Leo Wife" Jokes of course. There are so many great title options. that would be fun to see this published.

Dori said...

Val, good lord, woman! I'm writing a survival guide not a magic book! You're on your own with your family! :D

I added my email to my profile. You guys may find it a little easier sending stuff that way. Whichever everyone is comfortable with works for me. And, thanks. I haven't been this passionate about a project in a long time!

Momma Val said...

Sorry, as a cop's wife the biggest problem I run into is scheduling and trying to have a life and celebrate holidays with and without daddy. Just tried to give you an idea :)

Dori said...

Val, you know that's not what I meant! I wasn't dismissing your concerns! One of the things that Sean and I were talking about that needed a whole chapter on its own was the balance of work and family. It's a *huge* thing. However, at some point, for the sake of sanity, I think you have to throw your hands up and cry, "uncle". My mom's family always gets together for their Christmas the weekend AFTER Christmas and my sister and I haul our kids down there every year. And it works. Neither of our spouses have ever been (work conflict--usually) and no one expects them anymore. And we're fine with that--this way we all get to ride in the Suburban together.

Marit said...

What an awesome plan Dori!!

MissKris said...

Talk about light bulb moments. NOW I know what the "Leos" stand for in your sidebar. I thought they were all astrological Leos, like you had some kind of a birthday club going. DUH!!!! Like the old saying says, "You can tell a Swede but you can't tell them much"! Sheeeeeeeeeeesh...

Lakeland Jo said...

like Miss Kris I though you meant astrology til I explored further!!
I would like to read the book, but I can't input with anecdotes and tales. My husband is a hypnotherapist

Jennifer said...

Hey! I found your blog again - hubby got a new computer and I lost my favorites! Anyways, I cant contribute - hubby is in the IT world. However I love the title!!!