Sunday, February 15, 2009

Tidbits

The recent bankruptcy and closing of a toy store chain has lead to a surplus of wee little dye-cast toy cars in our household. Because we needed more miniature sharp objects to step on at 3am--the wheels causing us to completely lose our footing is just a bonus. We're masochistic that way.


At one point I, as I was pulling one of the offending cars out of my foot, I noticed that both Matchbox and Hot Wheels are sold under the same toy brand. So what made them different? I went googling (Fascinating, isn't it? How "To Google" is now a verb?). Wikipedia (I also wikied) informed me that a die cast toy maker by the name of Jack Odell designed the first cars to fit inside a matchbox--for his daughter. How sweet is that? She could take toys to school as long as they were small enough to fit into a matchbox. And now these little toy cars are The Preferred Toy of my own daughter--she makes little vrooming sounds. Things like that just make my heart smile.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those little cars. Kailea also loves to play with toy cars. What store was this that went out of business.....where did you get these? They are so cute and so little :)

Dori said...

KB Toys...45 cents a piece! They both picked out 2 and added them to the growing collection they already have!

Momma Val said...

Awwwww! Hi, I love your blog! I just came over from Married To The Law. I did not know what about the little cars that are also scattered and in motion all over my house too. Very interesting. I just thought they were two different brands. I like to google things often and get to the bottom of them. Sometimes things that really are not of any importance, I just want to know. Love your profile picture. Hope you don't mind but I am adding you to my blog list. I JUST connected with LEO wives blogs in the last week or so. Thank God!!! Cause quite frankly, NOBODY else "gets it." Nice to meet you :)

Suburbia said...

I bet your heart doesn't smile when you trad on them though!! Playmobile and lego cause the most injuries here!

Dori said...

Ha! Suburbia, you may recall a particular Playmobile stabbing incident a few months back?

Momma Val...welcome to the madness! :D I'm working on a blogroll for LEO spouses--I'll add you on there.

mrs. fuzz said...

I also love stepping on toys so much, that this last July, I stepped on one that was on the stairs and fell down the stairs and broke my ankle! That's how much I love stepping on toys. It was one of those giant plastic red baseball bats laying perfectly along the stairs. The kids are very careful about not leaving toys on the stairs now, and I'm very careful about looking at each step.

That's a cute story about the matchbox cars.