Thursday, February 12, 2009

Housekeeping...

It's been a very long day--back to the doctor with Kyleigh...this time with a viral eye thing. Poor kid can't catch a break! And can someone please--please--explain to me how I'm supposed to get drops in her eyes when the instant I lay her back she morphs into a Tasmanian Devil?! Nooooo, doctor couldn't offer any advice on that one, could she!

Anyway...figured since my brain is all mushy (and all I want to do is go to bed) I'd take care of a little light housekeeping--blog style.

I have a plethora of drafts in my edit box. Thought I'd dig one out, polish it up a little and go ahead and share. I started this post way back in September, though, oddly enough, the mild weather the past couple of days has me feeling like this all over again...


*************************************************************************************
The weather has turned cooler. Days on end with the windows open and the air conditioner off. Days like these are the ones I long for through out the rest of the year. That moment between pleasantly cool and Don't-talk-to-me-I'm-staying-indoors-contemplating-moving-to-Tahiti-wake-me-up-in-March cold.

Shocked? That me, who spent most of my life around the equator enjoys the cool autumn days above all else? Know why? It reminds me of home. What? That's not what you'd expect? But everywhere we lived--with one exception--was fairly high altitude. Cool misty mornings, warm afternoons and cool breezes blowing at night. Our house in Olitokitok--the Kenyan border town half way up Mt. Kilimanjaro--even had a couple of fireplaces that saw regular use. My heated water bed was the place to be when we ran out of firewood!

But this is where my heart will always be.

This is one of my most favorite views in the world--and I've seen a lot of the world to be able to come to that conclusion. Lake Victoria as seen from the patio of our house in Mwanza, Tanzania. My bedroom window looked out over the lake as well. If I managed to wake up in time (rarely) I could watch the fishing dhows head out to gather the day's catch. I learned to sail (sort of) on that lake. I'll dig out those pictures another day.

My grandfather helped build this house. One of my uncles lives there now. He actually helped in construction all those years ago. They basically cut out part of the hill, used the broken up rocks to build retaining walls and built a house. I had an entire hillside of rocks to climb up and over and mango trees to hide out in. And there is no more peaceful, All Is Right With The World sound than an African rain falling on a babati (corrugated aluminum) roof.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds absolutely perfect :)

Melanie said...

I did not realize your family had history in Africa before your parents! And GREAT pictures by the way. Some friends of ours recently went to Kenya and took pictures along the escarpment. Lo and behold one of them was of Longonot and Kijabe Hill! I could have cried with glee.

Put the drops in the corner of Kyleigh's eye (the corner of her eye next to her nose) while her eyes are CLOSED. When she opens them to blink, the drops roll right in. It doesn't stop the writhing, but at least you don't have to try to pry their eye open while you are wrestling with them.

Melanie said...

And the Freshours all had waterbeds as well - were they easier to cart over there I wonder?

randompawses said...

Wow! I had no idea you've lived so many places. I must admit to being a mite (OK, a whole lot!) envious.

Ever think of writing your memoirs, Dori? Assuming life ever slows down enough to allow you to do so....

Dori said...

Melanie--you are a Goddess! It worked like a charm. Clearly I chose the wrong Freshour as my banquet date.

Dori said...

And, yep--second generation MK/TCK. My dad grew up in West Africa. It's actually my mom's brother that lives in this house now. Her parents came out to help us build it. They weren't missionaries--circuit pastors on the Eastern Shore.

Anonymous said...

Hey dori, thanks for commenting over at my blog. I love cool autumn days too. That crisp air .. there are no words to do it justice but you did a pretty good job!

Meanwhile, it's 3 degrees here, and DROPPING. About 3 weeks ago it was 36 below. No wind chill. ACK!

Suburbia said...

That was nice to read, and looks a beautiful place to grow up! I can't do the drops in eyes thing with my two either!

mrs. fuzz said...

I would like to hear more stories about living in Africa! Sounds very interesting.

Soozcat said...

I have trouble putting drops in my own eyes, much less someone else's. The only thing that works for me is to pull open my lower eyelid and stick the drops in the little pocket it makes, then close my eyes and roll 'em around.

You grew up in Africa? That's awesome.