Sunday, May 12, 2013

Balance...

There are those who believe children now-a-days are soft and lazy.  Far too much time playing video games and not enough time playing in the great outdoor.  I say, "Most things in moderation." It's a good life motto.  I also believe that video games are fantastic tools for building connections in the brain--firing synapses, forming dendrites, left/right cross brain action.


The world is going digital.  Yes, my children will know how to start a fire with two sticks (without one of them being a match, thankyouverymuch) and other survival skills.  But they're also going to be able to hold their own--and excel--in their technological generation.



After a day spent outdoors...at the park riding bikes, playing on the  playground then digging in the dirt in our own backyard, thunderstorms drove them inside.  They settled down to continue building their elaborate world in Minecraft.  It didn't take long for the wee girl to catch on.  Now she's constructing her own castles, barns and restaurants.  


I uploaded an update for them yesterday.  It included a new skin pack and the ability to spawn their own creatures.  The laughter and giggles over "zombie pig men" and creepers in bathing suits was infectious.


And me? I was just enjoying playing with my new camera some more. 

3 comments:

Soozcat said...

I maintain that tech is a tool, and like all tools it can be wielded for good or ill. I'm sure when writing first came on the scene, Sumerian "experts" were bemoaning the soft and lazy qualities of their people, who were no longer committing everything they knew to memory. How could they really know something if it were only scribed on a clay tablet that could be broken or lost?

So it has always been, and so it always shall be.

Dori said...

Again, Sooz, you manage to "get" what I meant (and stumbled through) but relay it back in a much more eloquent way. Obviously, I need you around. :)

Soozcat said...

Hee! No need for me here -- you write very well indeed, Dori. I always come by to read what you have to say, though I've been kind of a slacker in the comment department... trying to fix that.