Thursday, April 19, 2012

Running truths...

I've discovered a few things since that fateful day in 2010 when I decided, at 38 years old, I could be a Runner.  Some ancient truisms are, indeed, true.  Others? Not so much.  And I've come up with a few all on my own.

Sweat may possibly be Fat crying, but Pain is not Fat leaving the body.  Sometimes the pain can be walked out, worked through or pushed passed.  But sometimes pain is pain and needs to be recognized.  Sometimes it takes ice and few days rest.  Other times it takes medical attention.  "No pain, no gain" can get you killed.

Running in high heat and humidity is Stupid.  And is also on the list of Things That Will Get You Killed.

Know your body and know your limits.

A bad run is better than no run at all.

There's really no wrong way to run.  Again, know your limits.  Know when to stay within them and when to shove them aside and blow right passed them.

Other than the $100 pair of shoes, running is the cheapest form of therapy available.

At the risk of sounding too much like a girl, a good pair of shoes really does make all the difference.  Same goes for a sports bra.

I'm a much better Person, Woman, Wife, Mom and Co-worker when I run.

Running in the woods trumps a treadmill run any day!

I will probably never win a race.  But I've never quit one either.

I'm not the only one who throws up after 13.1 miles.

My back appreciates the yoga stretches after a run.

Fruit gummies are the perfect running fuel.  But they will melt after two hours of being stowed in a sports bra on a long run.

But the most incredible thing I've learned? Running is actually Fun.

1 comment:

Julia said...

I have a great deal of admiration for you for running! It is difficult even when you are in your 20's, much more difficult in your 30's...good for you for sticking with running as your form of meditative therapy!