Monday, April 2, 2012

Let me sum up...

I suddenly found myself employed.  You know...as in a j-o-b and steady paycheck.  Trust me, I'm just as shocked as everyone else.

It began innocently enough with a blurb on job openings at the wee girl's preschool next year and I filled out an application.  Then morphed into, "Oh, and by-the-way, this one person is resigning...how would you like to take her place for the remainder of the school year? Beginning in two weeks?"

Since, apparently, crazy doesn't just run in my family, it lolly gags around and hangs out for Sunday dinner, I acquiesced.

Last week was my first week.  And the only member of this household whose schedule wasn't completely turned upside down due to the change was the boy's.  Because I still get to be home to get him off to school and to meet his bus when he gets home.

I haven't worked outside of these four walls in four and a half years.  Last Friday was the first time in that long that I've even noticed it was Friday and rejoiced.  Well, I would have rejoiced if I'd have had the energy left to do so.  Himself came home Friday afternoon to me laid out on the couch, wee girlie tucked beside me, the boy snuggled and leaning against my bent knees and watching a movie...a doggie stretched out on the floor beside us and two neglected kitties tucked into any space not already occupied by humans.

Yes, there's stuff to get used to.  I actually have to be in and out of the shower before 8 am.  But we've been a part of the preschool's family for the past three years.  We've been active parent volunteers.  I've subbed in several classes numerous times.  The main difference is that now I'm actually receiving a paycheck for it.  My commute is two minutes.  Three if it's garbage collecting day.  My work wardrobe doesn't change--I've worn jeans, t-shirts and my Earth shoe sandals all week.  There's no question of my daughter and I being a package deal.  Teacher work days? She comes in and hangs out in their daycare room and it's a play day with her friends.  Our county decided to make this Friday a holiday...snow days we didn't get to use.  Since it was such short notice, any of us effected by the change are welcome to bring our older kiddos into work with us.  No, the pay isn't the greatest.  But the benefits far outweigh those short comings.

If I were going to write out "My Perfect Job For Right Now"? This would be it.  Probably.  Because, of course, the perfect job would be to actually be paid what I'm worth for what I do just being the Mommy.

No comments: