Monday, September 12, 2011

One year later...

One year ago I dropped the wee girlie off for her first day of preschool, drove to one of the local parks, set my interval timing on my ipod and ran/walked by way through a mile and a half.  Week 1, day 1 of the Couch to 5k training program.  And I didn't die.

It's amazing and just a little surreal to look back over the year and see everything as a whole...the accomplishments, the stumbles and the getting-back-ups.  Since this week last September I have logged over 600 miles, run three 5k races (one of them being the insane Rugged Maniac) and a half marathon.  I've dealt with 98% humidity, rain, snow, freezing temperatures, searing heat, dog bites, a nasty back injury, girl plumbing issues, the defeat of having to drop out of the 10k race only to bounce back and finish strong (for me) in a half marathon.  And I'm still not dead.

The lesson learned is this...if one is stubborn enough, bull headed enough and just a little bit crazy one truly can accomplish just about anything and reach insane goals, even without being "gifted".  I do not come from an athletic family.  My mom was a fairly decent athlete in school, but that was one of many of her genes that did not get passed along to her daughters.  But she passed along the tenacious gene in abundance!

I have at least four more races before the end of the year...two 5k's, a 10k and just maybe another 1/2 (I've mentioned crazy already, right?)  The mornings are turning cooler...I'm heading back out to my beloved trails to train and simply run for the joy of running.  Who would have ever thought I'd write that last sentence?!

No comments: