Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Small victories...

Parenting is not for the faint of heart.  Parenting two highly intelligent, highly imaginative, creative and crazy kiddos totally takes someone just a little tougher and crazier than the rest.  Basically...I just do my best to keep up.

At the beginning of the school year, Jacob came home all excited the day of his first library visit.  He proudly showed off his library book.  We read it all week.  Each week he was delighted to bring home another book.  Then the enthusiasm started to wean.  We'd read the book when he first brought it home and then wouldn't look at it again until the hunt to find it to put it in his backpack.  After he'd read the last several books to us I asked him why he wasn't checking out more challenging books.  The librarian only let him check books off of the kindergarten shelf and he'd read them all already.

A note to his teacher addressing the issue (I do believe she has my email address memorized).  A reminder to him yesterday morning as he left to--politely--ask the librarian if he could check out the higher level books.

Jacob was one very excited 5-year-old when he showed me his library book yesterday!  And then we sat and he read "There's a Wocket in My Pocket".  I love hearing my son read.  And I love that he's excited about reading.  He read the entire book by himself tonight...cover to cover with his sister sitting beside him, hanging on to every word.

It took a little prodding but the little man stood up for himself.  And I'm more proud of that than any other part of this.  And I'm totally looking forward to story time tomorrow.

2 comments:

randompawses said...

Yea for Jacob! That librarian needs to learn a little more about the kids s/he's dealing with every day. Holding bright kids back is NOT what someone in that job should be doing!

mrs. fuzz said...

What a little smartypants!! I bet the librarian loved helping him find a more challenging book. :)