Summer of 2000 found us moving...new state, new duty station. Apparently the months of July and August are busy times for military movers and we ended up camping out in our new apartment for two weeks whilst we waited for our furniture, and everything else we couldn't fit in the back of a Dodge Dakota, to catch up with us.
Emergency measures were needed and, seeing as it was infinitely cheaper to go with a ready made set of curtains rather than purchase a new sewing machine, I purchased (on clearance) a set of curtains. Full length denim to block out the street lamp that was directly outside our window. The only set I've ever had to buy...and they've followed us--sometimes remaining in the storage chest, sometimes fitting perfectly. They went up on a pair of windows when we moved in to this house--a back room that has gone through various changes. The final change was being transformed into our own bedroom. The curtains never fit well--too short to be floor length, to long to stay as they are. My 3rd world upbringing--reuse or repurpose all I possibly can--kicked in. A quick trim and hem and the curtains were fit to the windows.
A recent uniform change left my husband with a closet full of useless shirts. Apparently they can't simply be disposed of or donated somewhere due to the risk of falling into the hands of someone bent of impersonating a police officer. I watched--horrified--as he cut up one shirt and threw it away! I told him I would destroy the remainder in a much more useful and resourceful way if he would just put down the scissors and walk away!
This afternoon he looked over at one of the "new" bedroom curtains and pointed out that the hem was uneven.
Oh, that's fine...it so happens I just came into a surplus of navy blue material...
No. No. No! You are not using my old uniforms to fix our curtains!
Looks like I get to go shopping for brand new curtain material!