Monday, November 9, 2009

Work with what you know...

Tomorrow is a dear friend of mine's son's fourth birthday. She's a dispatcher for the same county my husband works for. We were friends before she was hired. She's also eight months pregnant with her third child. Just a little stressed. I offered to make the birthday cake. It was the least I could do.

The birthday boy's only requests were Chocolate and Cars. A couple of weeks ago I asked for a few more specifics--such as a favorite car. The little man just happens to dig police cars. I just might happen to know something about those...





And for Erin...I have never in my entire baking life had cakes stick to pans like these did. To call it a two layer cake would be stretching the definition of "layers". However, I have discovered that there is very little that buttercream and marshmallow fondant cannot fix. And some one is going to get a piece of cake with a lot of frosting.

9 comments:

Meadowlark said...

Talented!!!!
(and lucky kid to be born on my beloved Corps' birthday)

I'd like a CH46 cake. Can you get to work on that? :)

Natalie said...

How cute! Now the cupcakes I've provided for my kiddies look pretty lame...I'm going to have to up the anty when their May birthdays come around!

Marit said...

he's going to love it, and so is his mom!
cool creative outlet :-)

mrsofficer said...

wow impressive! how did you make the cars???? This was super sweet and nice of you, I bet he just loved it!!!

Erin said...

You're too kind to remember my struggles. And yet, a lovely product yet again1

MrsMonicaLB said...

wow it looks great!

Donia said...

fabulous!!

Dori said...

Thanks! This one was a lot of fun--Jacob even helped with the police cars. And Kyleigh helped with clean up. Quality family time.

Mrs. Officer, I used 4 mini loaf pans for the cars and carved out the non car bits. Covered them with marshmallow fondant (it's like working with play-doh!) and cut candy for the lights.

And, yes...he was very excited to see it! And he got to eat a car which he was thrilled about!

It's Turtles All the Way Down said...

Wow...nice job, Dori. I'm impressed by this (although there's a special place in my heart for the monkey!).
So - My birthday is June 6. I like carrot cake. Decorations? Hmmm...you choose...

I'd love to be snuggling with my nephew and niece and son all at once right now. Iain talked about Jacob today.

C