Monday, November 30, 2009

Traditions...

Yes--traditions. Every family has them. Even those of us who are "anti-tradition"...because, when you think about it, that's a tradition in itself. And here I thought I was being an individual. You know--just like everyone else.

Anyway...some gorge themselves on dry, tasteless turkey and then plop down on the sofa to watch football for the rest of the day whilst rubbing their extended bellies. Us? Having married the only American Male who cares nothing for sports of any sort--at least any non-medieval sort--we skipped the football watching. And since my sister was the chef we also skipped the dried out turkey.

There was lounging on the sofa...but of course he managed to find a book and fend off the slinky wielding niece at the same time.

There was also chair lounging but instead of watching anything on television, the entertainment of the day was provided my daughter. Kyleigh can be quite entertaining! And she loves emptying her Aunt Donia's cupboards. Babu was content to sit, rest his injured knee and observe. He was rewarded with numerous snuggles and kisses from his youngest grandchild.


And what goes best with non-traditional brined and roasted turkey? A Caramel Pecan Cheesecake (courtesy of my dad) and Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie (with whole wheat crust). Somehow I have managed to make it this far in life without a pie pan--the cast iron skillet worked just fine!


Okay...so there was that very traditional post dinner nap on the couch. Some traditions just shouldn't be messed with.

2 comments:

Julia said...

I am also blessed to have a husband who doesn't watch sports. I've learned this is a rare enough thing that I intend to hold on to him forever. You know, but only because I really hate football. :)

That cheesecake is making me hungry.

Donia said...

It was a lovely evening! And the leftover pie was scrumptious...