Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bits and pieces


I find myself sitting here tonight surrounded by soft, fluffy pink fleece and other wee little baby items. Some freshly sewn, others awaiting a quiet evening sometime later this week when I can break out the sewing machine again and sew without interruption. All this work for a very special little baby girl who should be making her appearance sometime the end of February.

Earlier today I found myself feeling a little guilty. All this effort and I didn't really do anything for her big sister when she was born--other than host her mom's baby shower. Then I remembered...Oh, yeah, I painted her room.

I couldn't find any pictures of the finished mural. But you get the idea. Amy requested I use one of the stories I wrote for the inspiration. We stenciled the story on the yellow border running around the room. I also painted stars on the ceiling. With glow-in-the-dark paint. Very cool effect--but what a pain to go back over for a second coat! There's a brilliant idea--let's paint with invisible paint!

This tree had a woodpecker move in by the time I finishing.


And a squirrel moved into this tree. And a couple of frogs on lily pads.


They also had an old dresser that was just screaming for a make over!

Now this special room is just about ready to welcome its long awaited new tenant. And we can hardly wait!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing gift. I have always admired the room and the time you took. How special! It's the most precious gift ever.

Marit said...

You did this stuff?? WOW!!
Come makeover my room sometime?

Suburbia said...

Wow you are very talented! How come we haven't been told about your artistic tendancy before?!!!

Dori said...

Thanks, Gina!

Elise...you know I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Suburbia, a girl has to have some secrets...

Tina said...

How talented you are!!! Great job!!! That is such a special gift.

MissKris said...

Oh, Dori! How lovely! What a wonderful 'gift' that will last far longer than any toy or outfit would've! You can come and work your magic at my house any day, ha! I came by to thank you for the lovely comment you left about my blog, too. I am SO GLAD we've connected thru cyberspace!

Unknown said...

Amanda will still walk by---"Mommy! The stars are out!" Too sweet!

Once I get it settled in there, I'll have to take some good pictures for you. After all, I owe you AT LEAST that much! You do know that is our favorite room in the house, right? And we still drag any newcomers in there to look at it, right? And it's been six years and hasn't gotten old? :) A thousand thank you's wouldn't suffice.

Grit said...

WOW! That is FAB!