Monday, March 28, 2011

One last transformation...

On another chilly March morning, five years ago, my sister and her kiddos drove into town to help clean our just closed on house...as well as help wrangle a very curious and very mobile 8-month-old Jacob so I could paint his room...


The day we actually moved furniture in was an emotional day...two nomads just signed a 30 year mortgage...but the peace far outweighed the fear...


This morning, as I washed my brushes and closed the art box on another transformation, I had that same peace...

Tonight the wee girl gets to sleep in a garden, tucked under a tree...


She has one small token princess element. At some point in the history of the house, someone finished the upstairs and carved out two bedrooms and a bathroom. Their creative way of dealing with the existing fireplace chimney? Plaster it, build the room around it. For a twirly girlie princess it became the perfect spot for a castle turret and royal banner...

One of my grandmother's quilts and a consignment store rug and her room is complete....

Due to this crazy life we've chosen, our children sometimes ( a lot of times) have to do without the new shiny things their friends get. But what they do get is priceless. I vowed long ago that my children would never, ever have to question whether they were loved or not. Because they are, and will always be, loved ...to the moon and back.

4 comments:

MrsMonicaLB said...

you are so very talented,love both kids rooms!
I have a large bare wall in my kitchen that I have wanted to paint with some faux countryside landscape but lack the talent you have so can you come do my wall??
thanks for the comment about my doggie♥

Anonymous said...

Another spectacular creation! I love the birdhouse on the tree and the beautiful details. I bet she's the happiest kid in her awesome new room!

Anita said...

That should make it fun to go to bed at night. She can make-believe something different each time.

What a talent you are!

Dori said...

Thanks, ladies! And yes, she loves it! Maybe a bit too much...nap time have become a struggle, but since she's now napped longer than her brother did I guess I shouldn't complain about it. At least she stays in her room and plays quietly. :)