Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Vices...or just one more way I'm not "normal"

I came across an article on NPR's website...In Defense of Marmite. I love the stuff. Always have. And when I was pregnant with Kyleigh it wasn't just a craving...I was fully prepared to suck the jar dry in the grocery store.

Limited edition Guinness MarmiteImage via Wikipedia


The article not only clued me in on stuff I didn't know (Marmite is basically left over beer sludge--there's even a Guinness variety which I need to try), it also gave a few recipes...I'll be testing the Cheddar Crackers this weekend.

I also put dill pickles on my grilled cheese sandwich. My long suffering husband blames it on my British upbringing. I just call it Good Taste.



***UPDATE***
Made the Cheddar Crackers...delicious! Given the amount of butter--how could it be anything less than Yummy?! Next time--no extra salt. The Marmite had plenty to go around...especially with the sharp cheddar I used. And I depleted my supply of Marmite and my usual dealer was out on Friday. Must find new supplier.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

10 comments:

MrsMonicaLB said...

Never heard of it,what does it taste like?is it sweet but sour?I read the link, interesting how peoples taste buds so differ.
eww dill pickle on grill cheese!
well I like red apples with tuna and lemon.yummmm

Captain Tightpants said...

Hey, I'm not long-suffering - I'm blessed!

Dori said...

Monica, it's totally a British thing. Think dark miso paste...it doesn't taste like it, but that same sharp, pungent, fermented level. And really, I've never met anyone who was middle of the road with this stuff--it's always Love it or "Oh my LORD, that's a jar of manure".

Mmmm...tuna and apples...

Dori said...

"long suffering" for the smells that emerge from the kitchen when I crave my own brand of comfort foods...blessed in all other ways, my love!

Anonymous said...

I think I had it in Australia at various times. And pickles on grilled cheese rule! I also love grilled cheese and tomato, and grilled peanut butter and honey on raisin bread. So good!!

Christina RN LMT said...

Is marmite the same as vegemite? If so, then I'll never try it, as vegemite practically left me writhing on the floor with horror.

I love eating apples with extra sharp cheddar cheese, or milk chocolate, or crunchy peanut butter...but NOT all at the same time!

Dori said...

Christina...I have no idea what makes up vegemite--some greasy vegetable bi-product? Marmite is basically refined leftover beer yeast sludge (yum!). I don't think the two taste anything alike. The 4-year-old tried some yesterday. His verdict? Tastes like spicy chicken! :)

Christina RN LMT said...

Spicy chicken actually sounds quite tasty! Maybe I'll try Marmite sometime...but I'll put some pillows on the floor, just in case that whole "writhing in horror" happens again. ;)

Natalie said...

Ever had battered and fried pickles? AMAZING!!! I highly doubt that I'll ever try Marmite, but I said that about haggis and didn't hate it (came from a proper butcher in Dumfries though, so that probably helped).

Dori said...

Fried pickles? LOVE them! I'm such a freak! :)