Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Ah, parenting...

The first note from the Boy's teacher regarding behaviour came home today. School started almost three weeks ago. That was a pretty good run for someone who shares my genetics!

I’m having him write out an apology. I wrote it, but he’s copying it (he is, after all, still a 5-year-old). And it’s seriously cutting into his snack and PBS Kids time. That and having to sit and talk to me about it appears to be punishment enough.

Think I'll still be able to get away with this as punishment when he's in high school?

3 comments:

Julia said...

Oh, Dori, you made me laugh awfully hard! I feel your pain...

If it makes you feel any better, it still happens when they are 6, or 7, or 8, or 9, or 10. Some kids just struggle, and mine is one of those, too. At first I was mortified, and as time went on, I thought - well, if the worst thing he ever does in life is talk to other kids too much, or lack focus (wonder where that came from?!?) then I'm pretty lucky. He obviously didn't get his gift of gab from his reclusive mother, so talk away, Little Q! Once you are 20, they call it "networking." LOL

Meadowlark said...

On a refreshingly positive note, sometimes they turn 22 and join the Marine Corps and they seem to figure it all out.

It's a looooong wait in between. :)

MissKris said...

I started things of that nature when my kids were young...so in our household it worked thru high school. Remorse is a good thing to teach them...there's so little of it in this world any more. Both are tenderhearted adults, too.